The Mary Baker Eddy Library Website recently posted an article titled, The Building of the Christian Science Center. The article focuses on the Mother Church and the construction, community and renovations throughout the years. The online article presents intriguing photos and describes the following:
In 1886 the Church of Christ, Scientist (later called The Mother Church) purchased a parcel of land in Boston’s Back Bay section, on which to construct its first church building. Since then both the church and its surrounding neighborhood have grown and evolved. With significant renovations underway on what today is known as the Christian Science Plaza, it’s helpful to look back at the last time a project of this scope took place, some 50 years ago. These photos from our collection offer some interesting perspectives.
During the 1960s Boston was undergoing major redevelopment. Officials embarked on a plan to revive the inner city with large-scale construction projects, including the 23-acre Prudential Center and the 790-foot John Hancock Building.
As part of this urban renewal, the nearby Mother Church announced its plans in 1965 for what was called the Christian Science Center, redeveloping 31 acres of residential, business, and public land in the Back Bay.1 The project involved the construction of various new buildings and a public plaza. Private developers were also encouraged to undertake residential, commercial, and retail projects nearby.